Enhanced Floor Performance
International Beams broad range of I-joists provide builders with flexibility in joist selection, spacing and construction detail. Although all values contained in the International Beams Design Manual meet or exceed code requirements, long-term floor performance (comfort) should be considered in all construction projects.
The following options will further increase the floor stiffness:
- Using floor deflection of L/480 instead of the code minimum of L/360.
- Gluing and nailing the sub-floor to the joists.
- Attaching gypsum board to the bottom of the floor.
- Decreasing the joist spacing by one increment based on allowable span.
- Using full depth I-joist blocking panels at mid span between floor joists.
- Using deeper joists.
- Using a thicker sub-floor, i.e. 3/4" or 7/8".
- Attaching strapping at 16" o/c.